Wednesday, October 6, 2010

World Dairy Expo

Hello Everyone!

     My month of October began at the one and only, World Dairy Expo. I swear my experiences as princess keep getting better and better! This year, I was unable to exhibit any of my own animals but I sure had a blast with Brooke passing out awards, talking with dairy enthusiasts from around the world, helping run the AGA booth, and of course dressing for the occasion.
    The trip was full of early mornings and late nights, even from the beginning. I got up at 3 am to get ready and was out the door at 4 am to catch my flight at the airport on Thursday. I'm thankful for safe flights and friendly conversations with the people who sat next to me. When I finally arrived at the show, I changed into my "watermelon" outfit and stood next to Brooke as we worked in the Guernsey booth. I say watermelon, because Brooke and I color coordinated in pink and lime green suits! In the early afternoon, the heifer show began. What an excellent group to represent the breed. My congratulations go out to Josie Morris with her senior yearling, Jeannie for winning Jr. Champion. Also, congrats to the Chupp family for winning reserve with their intermediate yearling in the open show. After the show, we had the sale to look forward to. Brooke and I were put to work with running sale slips. I was impressed that the sale was relatively large. Pizza was also provided to the exhibitors before the sale. After a long day in heels, it felt good to return to our hotel.
    Friday morning, I was up and at em' bright and early for the Guernsey cow show. Beautiful udders filled the ring, top honors going to the Vilters and Reserve Grand to the Chupp Family. Two outstanding cows to say the least! It was another fun day passing out awards and getting to talk with Guernsey friends. Brooke and I also met some new ones. After the show, it was back to the AGA booth. I got some very interesting comments about the Guernsey breed. Some that made me smile, and others that were a little disappointing. I love the breed, and therefore was surprised when I heard negative feed. I believe the Guernsey breed has alot to offer to the dairy industry whether its her great temperament, calving ease, high fat and protein components, etc. In my opinion, the fawn and whites are also the prettiest in the showring. I bet many of you Guernsey breeders will agree with me on this. I did try to make a positive effort to change their minds however! Saturday was my day to shop and look around. I visited the Purple Cow clothing store and walked around to view everything from new equipment to testing cheese spread. This was the day that I also got to visit with friends. A big thank you goes out to the Weimer crew for taking care of the queen and I. Mike and Cindy, thank you for dinner and letting us rest, as well as making us laugh! Sarah, thank you for letting me borrow your flip flops when it was crucial. Also, thank you Spencer and Sam for taking us girls out. We really enjoyed ourselves!
   Overall, our stay in Madison, WI was everything we expected and more. Looking back, the days definatly went too fast but I'm looking forward to the last stop along the Tanbark Trail. Roughly a month away, Brooke and I are already planning on what we will wear and what I want to buy at the big country store. I'm thinking new boots! A very important thank you goes out to my family for really setting the foundation for me in the Guernsey breed. I never imagined all of the experiences and opportunities it would have in store. I love every minute of being a Guernsey girl. I  know I will carry these memories with me for the rest of my life. I hope everyone has a good month of October and save some leftover Halloween candy for me at Louisville!

Sincerely,
Ashlee Dietz
2010 National Guernsey Princess
R-Way Guernseys
  

2 comments:

  1. The Guernsey breeders are very fortunate to have ambassadors like you and Brooke represent them. No other breed has girls with looks, brains and passion for their breed leading them. About the negative comments – We need to continue to breed our way out of them. Our efforts to breed a stronger, better-uddered cow with more emphasis on feet and legs must be of highest priority. I hope we can make use of genomics to aid in identifying bulls and bull mothers to enhance the selection process. Until then, our bull selectors will, hopefully, work hard to find these traits.

    ReplyDelete